You see the word sustainability everywhere these days but what does sustainability exactly means? For us it means having a business that generates profit while improving societal and environmental conditions. Below you find some examples of what we do to keep beautiful Gili Air green and clean.
Keeping it Natural
- We make our own homemade organic cleaning products.
- All our guests receive a bamboo straw upon arrival.
- We use LED light bulbs and rechargeable batteries.
- All flower arrangements in your room are handpicked from our own garden.
- We use natural sunlight for drying our laundry.
- We change your sheets only every 3rd day or upon on your request.
- Our toilet bags and bin bags are made out of cassava and are 100% biodegradable.
- We use natural essential oil spray for room freshener.
- We offer free drinking water to all our guests.
- We reuse / recycle / compost.
- We don’t offer palm oil in our shared kitchen – we love Orangutans and want their home to stay intact.
- We ask our suppliers to deliver our items in a carton box without having them wrapped in plastic.
Supporting the local community
Our amazing staff is from Lombok and Flores. We hired our boys staff based on their willingness to learn, not upon experience. Some of them had no experience and didn’t even speak English when they started working for us. It is truly amazing to see them grow and developing their skills.
All of them receive a salary above the recommended Government wage and they receive a bonus salary twice a year. We made sure all of them have a health insurance and are building up a pension.
We want our boys to dream big and teach them that with hard work and a lot of dedication almost everything is possible. We made a personal development plan for each of our boys to help to archive their dreams. Furthermore once a week a private teacher from Lombok will come to Villa Nangka to give our boys English class and life lessons.
Every person has a unique talent
Sometimes we need just need someone to believe in us and hold our hands when we do our first steps. To encourage them they all receive a personal present on their anniversary:
🔹It is Dan his dream to travel the world and with a little bit of our help he is already been to Singapore, Bali and Malaysia and hopefully this year we can add Thailand to the list.
🔹When we asked Burhan about his dream he didn’t had to think twice: he wanted to become a chef so what would be a better present than his first kitchen knife set.
🔹To help Pudja to become the best Subwing guide in the world we gave him a free diving course for his anniversary and now a days he makes up his own Subwing tricks.
🔹 Hendra is a very talented musician and he loves that he has his own guitar now and can make music everywhere he wants.
🔹Our lovely Jack is soon becoming a father and it was his dream to create a beautiful baby room for his little girl. It was our pleasure to help him to realize that dream.
🔹Ivan would like to become a dive guide one day and show people the magical underwater world. Rose took him for his first dive. I’m not sure whose smile was bigger at the end of the day, him or mine.
Six unique boys with six unique dreams. We count our self incredibly lucky that we can give my boys the tools and the experience to pursuit their goals.